The "Centre for Gender Studies & Micro Finance" of Vaikunth Mehta National Institute of Cooperative Management (VAMNICOM) is undertaking training, research and consultancy in various aspects relating to women development and micro finance. It was created to design, plan and execute programmes of training and research in various fields. It has published a manual on Gender Sensitization and Empowerment of Women in Cooperatives It is collaborating with Ministry of Women & Child Development, Government of India, Rastriya Mahila Kosh, Maharashtra State Commission for Women, Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai, National Commission for Empowerment of Women, New Delhi, NABARD, NAFCUB & others.
The objectives & functions of Centre for Gender Studies are as follows:
1. To diagnose the status of women in terms of economic, social, political and cultural reforms in the country.
2. To identify the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for women in designing rational action plan.
3. To undertake action research at grass-root level, surveys and analysis on key problem areas.
4. To give recommendations to various cooperatives as well as to Central and State Governments in designing the women development policy.
5. To conduct/organize training programmes of women in various areas of their interest in cooperatives.
6. In order to achieve the above objectives, Centre for Gender Studies is concentrating on following main activities:
(1)Training (2) Research and (3) Consultancy
The "Centre for Gender Studies" is collaborating with the following apex/state bodies:
1. Ministry of Women & Child Development, GOI
2. Partnering with Rashtriya Mahila Kosh as a National Resource Centre
3. Maharashtra State Women Commission, Mumbai
4. MAVIM, Mumbai
5. Department of Cooperation, U.T. of Lakshadweep
6. Gujarat State Cooperative Union
9. UNDP, ILO-Coopnet, ICA
1. The training programmes provided a forum for the participants to share their experiences in various areas of interest in cooperatives and a SWOT analysis was prepared.
2. The case study on “Gender Sensitization in Cooperatives – A Case Study of a Cooperative Dairy” received the FIRST PRIZE at the Annual Case Study Competition conducted by the Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi.
3. Preparation of Module on Gender Sensitization.
4. Preparation of report of Proceedings of Centenary Programme on Empowerment of Women through Cooperatives.
5. Documentation of the success stories of – Women Cooperatives.
6. Preparation of Gender disaggregated data.
1. Cooperative Centenary Year Seminar Publication
Proceedings of “National Seminar on Empowerment of Women through Cooperatives” (10th to 11th March, 2005)
2. Manual on Gender Sensitization
Manual on Gender Sensitization – June, 2006 price publication Rs.100/- each.
The Manual is a step by step guide on Gender Issues. It comprises of cases, articles and group exercises. It is useful for trainers, academicians, corporates & students studying Gender Issues.